Saturday, December 15, 2007

I Love My Sister but....

Today I received a phone call from my 19 year-old sister who is currently a college sophomore in the middle of finals. She is preparing for one final which will consist of two essays. However, the professor was kind enough to provide the class with four essays ahead of time, two of which would be used on the final. Per her mathmatical calculations she figures she needs to prepare at least 3 essays in order to avoid any surprises.

During this preparation she comes across what she believes is an ambiguity in one of the questions, so she calls me for clarification. This is essentially a recap of that conversation:

Her: So the essay wants me to discuss the trend in Christianity that happened between 1000-1600 where a lot of people were getting messages from God to do stuff.
Me: Like Joan of Arc, right?
Her: Yeah.
Me: What's the problem? What part of that don't you understand?
Her: Well, I don't know if he means 1000-1600 A.D. or B.C.
Me: Ummm....seriously?
Her: Yeah. How do I know which years he wants me to discuss?
Me: Well, he wants you to talk about this trend in Christianity, right?
Her: Yeah.
Me: Well, do you know what B.C. stands for?
Her: Yeah. Before Christ.
Me: Think about it. Christianity didn't start until Christ, right?
Her: Yeah. So....?
Me: So if Christianity didn't exist until after Christ, then it would be impossible for you to write an essay on Christianity during 1000 BC.
Her: [Silence.] Are you sure?
Me: Trust me on this one.

No comments: